Monday, January 30, 2012

Devotional Cinema by Nathaniel Dorsky

Response by Bethany Day

Reading this book was an enlightening experience.  A lot of what Dorsky talked about I had an idea of, or could relate to somehow, but he expertly articulated his thoughts and backed up his arguments with historical references. I like the structure of his book, and how he started out with the idea that “there was a concordance between film and our human metabolism… We are both appreciators and victims of material existence” (Dorsky, 17).  Dorsky makes a good point especially when he talks about film being a form of alchemy, a way to relieve repressed emotions and transform your way of thinking.  I thought it was especially interesting how he kept returning to historical references, including the reference to facts about Greek theories of medicine and how “it was taught that illness came from a dreamlike absorption, a state of imbalance” (Dorsky, 21).  I also thought it was interesting that in order to correct this imbalance, the sanctuary of Epidaurus was built in order for people to have “temple sleep” (long periods of relaxation) after performances.  This reference to the past is definitely applicable to the future and the effect films can have on their audiences.  I also found it enlightening that the author believes that in order to lay the foundation for devotion, the film must draw attention to the medium itself, it “must obey its own , materiality” (Dorsky, 23). 

I loved his continued references to different art forms throughout history.  His references made it easy to understand his argument about how people’s view of the world has become more objective over time.  I am glad he talked about imbalances, bringing up that a film needs to have an “awareness of the formal dignity of existence” (Dorsky, 26).  Single-mindedness is the other side of the imbalance.  These ideas made me think about myself as a filmmaker, and how I want to achieve a connection with my audience; allow them to see what I see and make them feel what I feel.  I want my audience to have a good experience.  One of my favorite lines is when he says that “concepts or spoken language are ornaments in the context of visual space” (Dorsky, 27).  It reiterates the fact that as a filmmaker you need to show the story visually, not just tell it through language and dialogue.  I agreed with his arguments about intermittence and how “allowing intermittence into a film activates the viewer’s mind” (Dorsky, 29).  I identified with relinquishing all control, and suddenly being enlightened by everything around you.  The world is ever-moving, ever-changing, and full of poetic images and language that one could only hope to translate or transform successfully through film.  The ideas presented by Dorsky in his book definitely made me look closer at myself as a filmmaker, and how I want to achieve the effects he mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment